Thursday, November 20, 2008

They Look Good Enough to Eat


Hello friends. My daughter has been baking here today and it made me think of these gingerbreadmen ornaments that I like to make. They are fun to make. I like to make at least several of them at once if I'm going to take all of the stuff out. So I cut a sheet of cork to fit my Xyron and run it through, so that the back of my cork has adhesive on it. If you don't own a Xyron, you can use a sheet of double stick red liner adhesive or Peel n Stick Double Sided Adhesive by Therm O Web to add the adhesive to the back of your cork. Adhere a piece of tan cardstock to the back of the cork. Use cardstock that is 110# or heavier. Now it's time to cut your gingerbreadmen out with a Sizzix Gingerbread Man die. I used sharp scissors to cut my cork into individual pieces that fit better in my Sizzix before I cut the gingerbreadmen out. Next, use your favorite eyelet setting tool to add an eyelet at the top of the little guy's head. Now the fun part begins! Let your imagination go and decorate your gingerbreadmen. I'll share with you what I used. I chalked my around the outside edges of the body to make the little guy look "browned". The eyes are black beads that are flat on the back, the mouth is drawn with a permanent extra fine red marker, the cheeks are chalked, the trim at the wrist and ankles was done with Holly Stickles. The heart "buttons" are red heart punches with Icicle Stickles on them to look like sugar. Don't forget the gold cord for hanging your ornament on your tree. If you're sending these in the mail, be sure to put some stiff cardboard on each side, so that they don't get damaged. If you make some of these, please send me a link to the pictures. I'd love to see your version. : )
Here are instructions for an easy holiday kid's craft. Sorry I don't have a photo, but I think you can get the idea easily enough from the instructions.
Construction Paper Stockings: You'll need holiday color construction paper, cotton balls, glitter, scissors, glue, hole punch, ribbon or yarn. Cut a stocking shape out of construction paper. Brush glue on the top portion of the stocking and adhere cotton balls to make it look like fur. Make glue swirls and shapes on the stocking and decorate with glitter. Punch a hole in the top of the stocking and add ribbon or yarn as a hanger. ***For older children, you could cut a front and a back to the stocking and show them how to glue it together around the edges.
I'll try to add instructions for more simple children's crafts throughout the holidays. I know moms and grandmas are usually looking for something different for the kids to do when they are on school vacation.
Have a great day!!!
Inky hugs!
Shelly

No comments: